Tuesday, March 29, 2011

introductions and such

"I'm glad I'm single. That means that I have money."

I've heard this said by male friends and countless male strangers many times.  It's true that in our society, dating seems to be a rather expensive endeavor.  The men have to pick up their dates (thus driving, thus burning up precious gasoline), buy dinner, buy tickets to the movie...you get the picture here.  A date here or there every once and a while is affordable, but if a committed relationship is involved, the prospect (or so I'm told) becomes trepidatious.

But spending loads of money isn't the point of dating, right?  A date should be about spending time with the other person, getting to know him or her if you don't, and purely enjoying his or her company if you do.  Should be.

That's how JD, my boyfriend, and I approach dating anyways.  (Notice that I said I. Yes, even though I am a woman, I have no qualms about spending my own money on a date.  We'll get into my feelings on that at a later date.)  We rejoice when we get a ridiculously low bill at dinner and scrounge around for nickels to buy movie tickets.  And you know what?  It's insanely fun.

So, the purpose for this weblog:  to document our frugal approach to dating, providing all at once entertainment and helpful hints for the reader.  If but one individual learns how to have a good time with his or her significant other without dropping a wad of cash on a Friday night, this mission shall be considered a success.

In the words of an illustrious professor I once had, "Peace and love."

--Olivia

No comments: