Friday, April 1, 2011

women, men, and money: what's the big deal, anyway?

Not too long ago, I overheard a woman I work with say, "If a guy doesn't have enough money to pay my way, he's clearly not worth my time or attention."  Another once said, "I don't really care what my boyfriend does as long as he buys me things."

I remember thinking how pathetic this sounded at the time, but got to thinking about it later.  I realized that, although most women might not come out and say it in the blunt manner of my less-than-subtle co-workers, the majority of them hold a similar opinion, and I for one think it's ridiculous.


What would the members of the Women's Suffrage movement think of modern American women?  I can almost hear Sojourner Truth and Elizabeth Cady Stanton groaning in disgust.  How could a woman give the "Ain't I a Woman?" speech or organize a political rally and be content with the result, the lazy modern American woman who doesn't even summon enough energy to pay for dinner every once in a while?

Everything they worked to achieve for us is wasted if we expect and demand that men take care of us financially.  There's nothing wrong with him buying dinner, of course, but if you have a steady job and want to take care of the movie tickets or dinner next time, that's perfectly acceptable.  A relationship should be based on equality between the individuals involved, and sharing the expenses is just one way to make sure that happens.

I could really go on about this forever, but I'll spare you.  Bottom line: girls, don't use your biological status as an excuse to have everything handed to you.  Contribute something to the relationship. (Guys: don't use this as an excuse to be a jerk.)

Peace out.

--Olivia

No comments: